9.15.2008

Ativin-Modern Gang Reader


The Ativin on record here is a band that had progressed light years from the debut ep released the previous year.  Whereas that album relied heavily on more pedestrian distortion pedal off/distortion pedal on dynamics, the writing here offers a subtle complexity that takes into account time, space, volume, and timbre.  A nice prelude to their follow up LP German Water- their strongest effort which I highly suggest seeking out, and Modern Gang Reader in fact resurfaces there.  These sorts of bands always worked better in small doses I always thought, and this is a great example of how the single can still be a great format.  A simple but effective package and two songs that serve as a perfect distillation of what it is a band does.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I agree, German water is excellent and I was introduced to this band through this single, which I think is still in print? Anyway I wish I heard more from these guys lately...they were on board the instrumental train from the beginning.